The Giffordtown Schoolhouse Museum shortly after it was moved in 1977 to it's present location at the corner of 35 Leitz Boulevard and Wisteria Lane in Little Egg Harbor. The one room schoolhouse was built in 1884 and was located on Rt. 4 (Rt. 9 today) in West Tuckerton. It was enlarged from one to two rooms in 1912, and approximately forty students occupied each classroom. Lower grades to 4th in one and 5th to 8th in the other. After a new grammar school was built in 1951, the Giffordtown Schoolhouse was left vacant for the next 25 years. In 1977 the school building was about to be torn down; instead the present owners of the property, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Leitz, donated the school as well as a new piece of property to the Tuckerton Historical Society. The original members of THS worked together as a team to restore the interior and exterior of the schoolhouse while holding their meetings in the Fish tales Restaurant on South Green Street in Tuckerton. The schoolhouse reopened in 1982 as a museum and the new headquarters of the Tuckerton Historical Society.
MEMBERSHIP Join the Tuckerton Historical Society and help us keep the dream alive by continuing to preserve the artifacts and documents which have been placed in our care. Here at the museum we are dedicated to making Tuckerton and Little Egg Harbor's entwined history come alive! Joan Exel/Ursula Catalano Membership Committee
FUTURE EDITIONS WILL BE EMAILED THE FIRST WEEK OF EACH QUARTER AND POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE.
BOOK/GIFT SHOP
In addition to books and publications written and edited by our members we have Commemorative Plates, T-shirts, Hats, Flags, Maps, Post and Note Cards for sale. To place a phone order please call Connie Woolson at 609-294-1547.
Steve Dodson's new book “THE TUCKERTON BEACON 1917 – 1929”COMING SOON.
To see our new Library section visit the Giffordtown Schoolhouse Museum on any Wednesday from 10AM - 4PM. Saturdays in June, July and August from 2 – 4PM. Appointments for private tours are available all year long.